Tuesday, August 17, 2010

attitude check

The other day I was commenting (or perhaps complaining, if I’m honest…) about how long it’s taking to sell our house and how it’s so hard to still be in limbo and still trying so hard to keep the house so clean all the time. My sweet husband listened and nodded… and then goes, “Well, I think our situation is pretty great. We HAVE a house to sell, which not everyone can say… and we are looking to buy a house near my new job where I am being paid MORE… and we have the money to buy ANOTHER house when it all works out… so I feel like things are pretty good overall.”


Wow.


Humbled much?


And it’s not like I can be mad at Lance’s sweet face even though he totally (gently) put me in my place.


Anyway, I’m working on my attitude. I strive to be a non-negative Nancy , and sometimes I fail I guess. I know how much I prefer to be around joyful people, and I long to be a joyful person myself, and I think I’d gotten in a complainy funk. (Disclaimer: everyone goes through ups and downs. My desire to be a joyful person and to be around joyful people is in no way a desire for others or myself to be fake-plastic-Stepford Wife happy all the time even though life can be a roller coaster. I’m speaking in broad generalizations.) I’m trying to change my prayers… thanking God that he’s given us SO many blessings that we are having to figure out what to do with them all… and thanking God for the day that he will resolve our situation and amaze us with his goodness, as he always does. He’s proven himself entirely faithful, entirely gracious, entirely awesome. He loves me unendingly, immeasurably, incredibly much. He has given me every good and perfect gift. And he adopted me and engraved my name on the palms of his hands. He’s not going to forget or abandon me now (or ever). He’s too wonderful for that. So until he shows me exactly what he’s got planned for me, I’m going to rejoice that he’s leading me—that he’s gone ahead of me and prepared a path and a place for me.


****


“I sought the Lord and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame. The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them. Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him. …those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.”

-Psalm 34:4,5,7,8,10b

2 comments:

  1. well said my sweet friend! and I agree/feel the same way often :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Thank God for putting someone in your life who loves you enough to tell you the truth! We all need those checks sometimes. Miss your face!

    ReplyDelete