Tuesday, January 5, 2010

the long and short of it...

I’m hungry.

That’s the short version of the story.

Long version: Lance and I both realized at the beginning of December that we’d put on some weight that we wanted to lose, but I knew that I would just fail at that during December. We had 4 Christmas parties, 3 Christmases, constant baking and fudge-making, clients sending tasty treats to the firm, etc. With so much deliciousness, I knew I would absolutely fail at losing weight during December… so we decided to just enjoy December without worrying about it.

But now it’s January.

I started back being uber careful what I eat yesterday… and I have pretty much been hungry ever since. It just takes a few days for my stomach to adjust to this. I had been snacking like crazy—actually, “snacking” probably doesn’t even encompass what my life has been like for the last month. More like “grazing.” Yeah, probably grazing. It was a constant, slow eating… typically of chocolate. I don’t have as much to lose as I did the last time we did this (it was 15 pounds last time; this time, it’s more in the 7ish ballpark), but making the choice and the change is still pretty darn hard.

I also stopped running when it got so frigidly cold out, and I am going to start running again… but probably not this week since it will stay in the 20s for like two whole days. (PS – this weather gives me some MAJORLY strong opinions on global warming, but I will hold my tongue. Maybe. At least for today, I will hold my tongue.)

The main thing I’m trying to prepare myself for is the fact that I will probably only lose a few ounces this week… even after being starving all day. At least, that’s how it was last time we did this. After that first week, the weight started coming off fairly easily, but at our first weigh-in, I cried. Yes, cried. Pretty hard. (It did not help that I was STILL hungry, mind you.) Anyway, I’m trying to emotionally steel myself for stepping on the scale and seeing the same number I saw the last time I weighed. Even after being hungry for days on end.

I know it’s everyone’s New Year’s resolution, but I really want to get healthier. I’m not overweight at my current weight, but I can/should be less. I also want to eat healthier, drink more water, start running again… and hopefully lower my cholesterol by doing all those things. Yes, I already have high cholesterol. Not terribly high, mind you, but I want it to be lower, and it will only get harder for me to lower it as I get older. I just like feeling good, having my clothes fit well, having energy, sleeping well at night, etc. Oh, plus, I like looking good in pictures and not looking at a picture and going, “Is that my face? Why’s it so round?!”

Lofty goal(s), I know. I must be making progress though. I AM stinkin’ starving, after all. That MUST mean something…

No comments:

Post a Comment