Tuesday, September 15, 2009

the divot

I had my MRI last Tuesday morning, and I really didn’t think it would be any big deal (especially given that this was like my 6th or 7th MRI in my lifetime). This was the first MRI I’ve ever had where the doctor requested that it be done with contrast. He told me there would be an injection involved. I’m thinking, no big – something flu-shot-like. Well… I was wrong. Quite wrong. I had to sign separate releases just for the injection part… including one accepting or refusing a blood transfusion if necessary! They brought in a doctor to do the injection part (so I had a doctor, a nurse, and a tech in there) and had me lie on the Xray table (while they all wore lead vests and I wore a hospital gown). I actually don’t even know what all went on because I wouldn’t look. I know I got multiple shots of Lidocaine, but I don’t know how many. I know they stuck me several times for the actual dye injection part… but I mostly know that because I have a cluster of holes surrounded by a bruise. I know that at one point the doctor told me that I was doing really well – that she came off the table when she had this done. I know that later on, I yelped, and the doctor said, “Wow… you must take a long time to get numb. Most patients are totally numb by now!” (I also know that I received additional Lidocaine injections at that time.) I also know that at one point I had my head tilted back so that I wouldn’t see what was going on, so when I yelped, the tears that filled my eyes actually rolled up my face and over my ears.

Anyway, tomorrow (Wednesday) is the day of the EMG test, so I am even more nervie about that… given that this was supposed to be the easy breezy test. At some point in life, I must have really wronged my doctor. This is quite the revenge plan.

I don’t think the picture below does justice to the pain… but you can see the little holes and the bruise… and the divot in my arm. Pwetty!




Say a prayer for me tomorrow... I am super scared. The MRI was supposed to be the test that was no big deal at all, and I still have a bruise an entire week later. I'm ready to have nothing but sunshine and rainbows to talk about... but for today, I apprecaite your prayers. :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh Taylor! I'm so sorry you're having to do this. You will make it! Then when people are sharing birth stories, you can say, "Oh yeah...". It's something right? Anyway, hope they figure out what's wrong, and it's a simple fix. Can't wait to hear about it, though.

    ReplyDelete